Monday, September 15, 2008

we have loaded up your eyes and fed you tangerines

my apologies for the disappearing act. i may well have lost all of you, but my flight path led me briefly astray. or something pertaining to this whole metaphor of me flying (south).

i won't waffle on forever with this one, but at least give a brief update on where things are, now a scant month and a half into australia. the short of it is i've moved into my own place, with my new roommate ivy, who's the best thing next to two-for-one drink specials and bartenders with a heavy pouring hand. i don't have a job yet, but i have been going out a fair bit, and taking regular vodka baths in public, much to my eventual embarrassment the next morning in bed (and sometimes, even my own bed...). champagne may have proven herself to be quite capable, but nobody knows me like vodka knows me.

there is drama. there's always a bit of drama.

i admittedly hit a weak spot about a week or so ago, where it seemed i was really swimming in the question, "what am i doing here?" and quite privately, whispered to myself the possibility of just packing it all in and going back to new york. but clearly, that is when you should most assuredly stay put, because that means the life lessons have arrived for the learning. i'm never having the nervous breakdown i like to claim i'm having (i have admitted in the past, in regards to other topics but certainly applicable here, that i can talk a big game) but as my mother said on the phone last night, "you're always the most surprised of anyone by your ability to be just fine."

fair enough.

give me a good twenty-four hours to realign, and i'll have something solid for you. the good news is that i think the emotional dust has settled, and while there is a bit of bs going on in other fields, it's certainly nothing that's got me laying on the kitchen floor playing with the dust bunnies.

it appears we are touching down with a relatively smooth landing.

No comments: